Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mentors and Friends

Science Dudes

Throughout my undergraduate career, I have met many influential and supportive people. These people have impacted my views and molded me into the biologist I am today. Without having worked/met/studied with these people, I would not be in the position I am today. I am not here to write a sentimental blog that will leave you sobbing from the heart-wrenching story of a boy following his dreams, rather, I am writing this as a shout out to all the awesome people with which I have been able to share these growing experiences. 

Master Rob Denton

My freshman year in college was a rough one. I spent my first semester at St. Joseph's College in Rensellaer, Indiana. The school was great and there was a prominent mole salamander biologist there (Dr. Bob Brodman - check out his stuff!), but I definitely did not fit. I transferred to Ball State University the very next semester. After a few weeks, I was exposed to a few job boards that presented me with new and unique opportunities. One of those was with Rob Denton. At the time, Rob was working on his master's thesis at Eastern Kentucky University. I applied for the job and was contacted by Rob a month or so later for an interview, at which time I was offered the position. I accepted, obviously. Little did I know that Rob was such a badass and how much fun (and pain) we would have that summer. 


Oh, those summer nights

Rob and I spent most of our days checking traps for amphibian larvae and other critters while being constantly assaulted by ticks, mosquitoes, biting flies and yellow jackets (I took the brunt of their onslaught - don't deny it, Rob). There was a lot of downtime, however, and besides napping and looking for snakes, we talked about biology (and music). When driving to our sampling sites we would talk about evolution, research ideas, herpetology, and careers. At that time, I was not exactly sure what I wanted to do with my biology degree, but Rob's plans to become a college professor intrigued me. Conducting research, teaching, and having your own little group of minions to do your bidding sounded like a dream come true. So with Rob's advice, I decided to pursue a career as a professor as well. 


This is what I expect my minions to look like. 

So, I just want to give Rob a thank you for putting up with my annoying questions, drafts, and shenanigans and for inspiring me to become awesome. Check out Rob's Blog here.


Rattlesnake Menagerie Member - Matt Holding

Matt and I first met when I was working with Rob. They had both attended Ball State together and became good friends. So when Rob invited Matt to come help him with his field work, he shot over from California and joined us on our daily expeditions into Daniel Boone National Forest (aka Middle Earth). Rob informed me that Matt was studying rattlesnake physiology at California Polytechnic State University under the advice of Dr. Emily Taylor. When Matt arrived, he told us how much fun he had been having while working with Dr. Taylor. Through Matt I met Dr. Taylor and went out to visit her at Cal Poly a couple years later. Thanks to Matt, I am in a position to attend Cal Poly and study rattlesnakes! Matt has been invaluable in the process by reviewing drafts for fellowships and giving advice on how to handle grad school. 

Matt's research at Cal Poly dealt with physiological effects and changes of the brain caused by experimentally altering navigational demands. You can read more about the research and the rest of Dr. Taylor's lab (Physiological Ecology of Reptiles Lab or PERL) here. Currently, Matt is attending the Ohio State University along with Rob. Matt is working with Northern Pacific Rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus oreganus) and the evolutionary arms race taking place with California Ground Squirrels (Otospermophilus beecheyi). Rob's research deals with the unisexual Ambystoma salamander complex and their potentially increased ability to traverse fragmented landscapes. 


<<< Crotalus oreganus 

This species is very widespread and used to be considered to be a member of the Crotalus viridis complex. There is much dispute about the species genetic relationship.


                                Unisexual Ambystoma >>>











Rattlesnake Menagerie Member - Dustin Owen

Dustin Owen...where should I start. I am not going to lie, but the first time I saw Dustin, I thought Shaggy from Scooby Doo had escaped his imprisonment in TV Land. Turns out, Dustin was a fellow aspiring herpetologist and we actually had a mutual friend in Matt Holding. After this discovery, we talked about herps and realized how similar we were. Dustin, being a slightly non-traditional student, understood a lot about how research and scientific journals worked. Somehow, he also knew a little bit about every single herpetologist to have ever existed. With his help, I gained a better understanding of how to be successful. Even better than that, I gained a friend that shared similar interests and hopefully a colleague for life. This past summer, we lived in Bloomington, Indiana at the "Bridgehouse." Things happened in that fabled housing unit that cannot be explained by science or basic logic. That experience caused us to become even better friends. Alongside that, we both applied for the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship to help fund our journey into grad school. So to say the least, Dustin and I have been through a lot these past few years, and in that process, have become great friends. 
The Bridgehouse...gives me chills

                                        
Next Mentors and Friends...Supportive friends and/or family that are not necessarily science-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment